Teach in China/Taiwan/Korea


The U.S.-China Educational Exchange

15 Locust Street
Jersey City, NJ 07305
(201) 432-6861


The Teach-in-China/Taiwan/Korea Program, directed by Dr. Yong Ho, Director of the U.S.-China Educational Exchange, was created to assist those who are interested in teaching English in China/Taiwan to locate positions there. Our partners in China include the State Bureau of Foreign Experts in Beijing and various educational institutions that we have extensive ties with. The State Bureau of Foreign Experts is a government organization responsible for placing foreigners to teach or work in China. Our partners in Taiwan and Korea include various elementary, secondary and adult schools. What makes our program different is that instead of waiting to be notified by colleges/universities and private institutions about their openings, we initiate contact with them on your behalf. Given enough time, we sometimes can even create a position for you. We can place English teachers who are interested in year-long positions, semester-long positions and short-term summer teaching positions. Most teaching positions at universities in China start in September and some in February (the beginning of the spring semester, depending on when the Chinese New Year is). The earlier you apply, the better is the chance of an appointment. The schedule at private institutions in China, Taiwan and Korea is a little more flexible than that at state colleges and universities. Most of them accept teachers on an on-going basis.

The basic qualifications for a teaching position include (for teachers of year-long and semester-long programs): native speaker of English, minimum BA degree and commitment to teaching. Teaching experience/certificate is preferred, but not required.

Teaching conditions and compensation in China vary from school to school, but if you teach at a university in China, you will be teaching for about 15 hours a week. Depending on the particular school you are placed in, you may be asked to teach some of the following courses: English & American literature, linguistics, reading, composition, grammar, cultural survey of English-speaking countries, conversational English and English for Special Purposes (ESP) such as business English. There are universities that need teachers to teach more specialized subjects such as accounting, international marketing and law. For your service at a state college or university, you will be paid between 2,000 and 3,000RMB/month in addition to free housing and health care. If you commit to one year of teaching, most host schools will reimburse at least a one-way ticket and many schools will a round-trip ticket. Some schools will also provide a traveling allowance equivalent to half of a month's salary. Although 2,000-3,000RMB a month (roughly $300-$380) is far greater than what Chinese professors get paid, it's little money by the Western standards. However people go to teach in China mainly for the experience with the culture and the people. There are also people who use the opportunity as an investment for their future career. In any case, things are cheap in China and 2,000-3,000RMB is enough to cover your basic expenses.

Private institutes in China, mostly under Western management, generally pay more than state colleges and universities. The pay ranges from $300-$800 per month. All of them reimburse a round-trip ticket to China if you commit to one year of teaching at least.

If you teach in Taiwan or Korea, you are likely to teach in a language school. Most university positions there require a Ph.D. The subjects that you are expected to teach include reading, writing and speaking. The minimum pay there is $15/hour with a guaranteed workload of 15 hours/week up to 40 hours/week. Most schools in Taiwan don't provide housing, but they will assist you finding housing. Most schools in Korea do provide free housing. The policy about airfare varies from school to school. Some provide a ticket, others don't. Most schools will also provide you with health insurance. Please note that most language schools in Taiwan are for children.

If you are interested in registering with our program, please provide us with the following:

1. Your resume, both hard copy and electronical copy via email (straight email, do not use attachment). Please include your citizenship, passport number. marital status and date of birth in your resume. If you do not have email access, please submit a disk that contains your resume file.
2. Copy of the first page of your passport with such information as your passport number, expiration date and date of birth.
3. Copy of your highest degree and teaching certificates, if any.
4. Names and contact information of two references.
5. Preference, if any, of a location or locations. We can place you in just about any place, but try to be as flexible as possible.
6. When you will be available to start teaching.
7. Two photos (most schools require them).
8. A fully-refundable administrative fee of $50 (see explanation below).

The above constitutes an application. There is no other form to fill out. Placement is conducted on a first-come-first-served basis. we'll assist you in obtaining a visa.

Ours is a nonprofit operation, but we do need to cover our (and our Chinese associates') expenses (international calls, faxes, mailings , advertising, and other legwork). For this reason, there is an administrative fee of $50, which is fully refundable if we fail to place you for any reason (our record is such that we have never failed to place any applicant who meets the requirement outlined above. In other words, we guarantee placement if we accept your application). This is a one-time or life-time fee in that if you decide to go back to China in the future after you have returned from teaching there or if you want to switch to a different school at the end of your contract at your current school, we'll provide the placement service to you free of charge.

The administrative fee, payable to U.S.-China Educational Exchange in the form of a check or money order, should be sent to:

U.S.-China Educational Exchange
15 Locust Street
Jersey City, NJ 07305

If you live outside the United States, please convert your local currency to US dollars before you send it.

For those who do not have a passport yet, you may submit the other documents first.

Once we locate a position acceptable to you, I'll be your personal advisor providing necessary orientation (aspects of teaching in China, reading list, travel arrangement, visa application, connection with people who have taught or are still teaching in China, logistic preparation and so on). In other words, we'll be with you every step of the way until you board the plane bound for China/Taiwan/Korea.

If you would like to speak to the people we have helped find teaching positions, we would be happy to provide you with a list of references, which will give you some idea of the kinds of people we have helped and the kinds of schools that they are placed in. Some of them have returned from teaching in China, others are still teaching there and still others are departing shortly. Feel free to contact and talk to them.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact Dr. Yong Ho at the above email address or phone number.

For our other programs, please click U.S.-China Educational Exchange.


Click here to visit our sponsor
The Datacom Ad Network

Copyright 1999-2000, Chinatown Online Co. All rights reserved.