The American Association of University Women Legal Advocacy Fund offers 10 tips on what to do if you experience sex discrimination at college:

1. Seek help. Talk to your guidance counselor, women's center or college dean, and ask about the grievance procedures at your university.

2. Put it in writing. Keep a record of what has happened, including dates, times, and places.

3. Do your homework. For more information on your rights, call the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission hot line at 1-800-669-4000.

4. Avoid loose lips. While the desire to talk about your case is understandable, be careful what you say. The threat of a countersuit for defamation is real and could be costly.

5. Get legal advice. Talk to an attorney who has specific experience with sex discrimination in the academic environment.

6. Act quickly. There is a statute of limitations on filing complaints, so seek legal advice as soon as possible.

7. Going to court can be expensive. Talk to an attorney or accountant about the financial considerations of a lawsuit.

8. Visit your doctor. You may experience a physical or emotional toll that should be addressed and documented.

9. Prepare for the long haul. Filing a discrimination or harassment lawsuit can take a long time, but others have succeeded in fighting discrimination, and you can, too.

10. Find a support network. The American Association of University women Legal Advocacy Fund can connect you with women who have gone through similar experiences. AAUW can also refer you to an attorney who specialized in sex discrimination cases. For information, call 1800-326-2289.


Click here to visit our sponsor
The Datacom Ad Network

Copyright 1999-2000, Chinatown Online Co. All rights reserved.